With your help by spreading the word and sharing your child's success stories, we can and will reach our mission of helping our area kids stay motivated, active and healthier. This program is designed for ages 6-12.
Each child receives an official "I Can 26.2 It! t-shirt (with a special new motivational design this year), chart with weekly mileage and parental verification, weekly motivational e-mails and a couple planned "group outings" where they can meet new friends and learn some life-lessons. Of course they can also enter the 1.2 mile finale where they finish underneath the Lakefront Marathon finish line banner to the cheers of hundreds and earn their medal!
NEW THIS YEAR:
1. We will be having weekly "group outings" at different fun locations around the area (Zoo, Miller Park, Lakefront, etc) where they can meet new friends and learn some life-lessons.
2. While the kids are off participating in their group outing, parents will be encouraged to lace up their sneakers for some health walking/running. Nothing like helping to motivate your child by being a role-model?!
3. Prizes for attendance at the group outings!
4. We will cap off the program by participating in a 5K (but will have the traditional 1.2 mile distance line also) which will end by finishing at the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon chute, just before the first marathon runners come through.
5. The 5K will be an event open to the public and the kids will be the guests of honor!
Shirt pick up will be at In-Step Running Centers OR for an additional $5.00 we will mail a packet to you.
SHIRTS may not be available to those registering after 7/20/16.
Shirt/mileage chart pick up will be at In-Step Running Centers:
|At Hales Corners
||Friday, July 22th to Sunday, July 24th
||Fri: 10-6 Sat: 10-4 Sun:12-4
|At Buffalo Street
||Monday, July 25th to Wednesday, July 27th
||Mon: 10-1 Tue: 10-7 Wed: 10-7
||Thursday, July 28th to Sunday, July 31
||Thur: 10-7 Fri:10-5 Sat 10-4 Sun 12-4
||Monday, August 1st to Wednesday, August 3th
||Mon:10-6 Tue: 10-7 Wed: 10-6
Hales Corners: 414-858-9306
This program would not be possible without the incredible donation of time and talents of: individuals who have stepped up to help on this and the Community Unity Run (a 2.62 mile event for everyone on marathon morning), In-Step Running and Physical Therapy Centers, Girls on the Run of Greater Milwaukee, the Milwaukee Police Department Endurance Club and of course The Badgerland Striders Running Club. Please thank them for their time and devotion if you feel this program was a benefit to your young athlete.
Click here to register online.
What is the Lakefront Marathon Kids Run?
In an effort to promote the importance of being active to the youth, the Badgerland Striders with support from Girls on the Run and the Milwaukee Police Department Endurance Club are proud to present an opportunity for kids heading into grades 3-8. This 10-week program will encourage kids to commit to a weekly mileage running plan in an effort to complete 25 miles leading up to a final 1.2 mile run with ALL the LFM Kids Run participants and crossing the official Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon finish banner to the cheers and applause of family, friends, coaches and community supporters.
Each participant will receive:
- a training shirt that says, "I Can 26.2 It!"
- a LFM route map with mile markers that can be filled in as you complete each mile toward your 26.2 end goal
- weekly motivational emails with encouragement and inspiration
- a mileage plan to assist with keeping a steady mileage towards the end goal
- two large group "training fun runs" will be offered during the program and Girls on the Run or the Milwaukee Police Department Endurance Club will not only offer tips on running but will also speak about such topics as: esteem, respect, discipline and goal-setting.
Parents/Guardians will play a vital role in the participants success and we encourage the parents to not only "sign off" on confirming the child’s progress but to become a local "coach" to your child’s friends, neighbors and acquaintances. This program and final run is NOT intended to be a race and is being made available to encourage all youth to stay active through the sport of running.
The Training Program is only $15 before 7/4/2016 if you pick up your packet at InStep. For an additional $5, your packet can be mailed to you. Sign up today or e-mail Race Director with any questions. A VERY special thanks to the Girls on the Run of Greater Milwaukee and the Milwaukee Police Department Endurance Club organizations for their support and coordination efforts.
On Sunday, October 2, 2016, participants will run 1.2 miles on the race course. Participants will cross the same finish line as Lakefront Marathon runners, complete with cheering fans and official announcer! Afterward, stick with us in the finish area for some post-run snacks, games, and entertainment to celebrate.
What time does the race take place?
Start time for the 2016 Kids Run is 9:15 a.m.
It starts at the south end of Veterans Park-by the flagpoles.
Send us an email with any questions: email@example.com